I’ve just completed my third week at work. I had the same 5 points in my head for the past three weeks but never found the time and peace of mind to sit down and write it out. So, here I am, at the end of three weeks at work. And about to tell you 5 things I love about my work. I hope it doesn’t change, that I’ll always have enough and more reasons to love my work and be happy about it. Anyway, this is what I love right now. So, here goes.
1. The need to know more, be informed – I realized this right on the first day I joined. Being a person who knew next to nothing about happenings, business, corporate world and a lot of other stuff (ummm…make that everything!), I understood I would have to put in a lot of effort if I had to do anything in here. And I’ve been trying. Trying my best to know more. I keep pushing myself to know more. I’m surprised at the amount of information/knowledge I’ve gained over the past 3 weeks, even though not all of it maybe beneficial to me beyond the workplace. Anyway, it is something I love, nevertheless. I do what I can to know more, to get a deeper idea of what I’m doing. The best part? The learning never stops.
2. Involves thinking – I suppose all jobs require some amount of thinking. But what I’m talking about is creative thinking. As part of my work, I’m supposed to think about possible options, new ideas and come up with something that can get the desired end/result. I love that. I’m just getting into the groove of it, but I totally love the way I have to push myself to come up with better ideas & possibilities. I also love the fact that it keeps me busy (mostly, not always), does not give me time to dwell on trifles. Apart from this, I get to do some stuff for others, which helps me dabble in different areas.
3. People – This is something I’m truly happy about, more than anything else. I love the people I’m working with. I agree there maybe exceptions. People might turn out to be different, looks might turn out to be deceptive. Keeping aside all that, there are a few individuals I love talking to, being with and working with. People whom I can connect to, who are similar to me and (best part!!) who dare to think big and beyond. Because not everyone will be able to understand your dreams and perceptions. It’s always inspiring and motivating to be around individuals who have ambitions, who understand the need to have a greater purpose in life.
4. The Environment – The work environment is AWESOME. It’s what I have always wanted my workplace to be like. And I’m super-glad I ended up right where I wanted to be. The people are all very friendly and helpful (again, I’m leaving out the exceptional cases). Once I was through the initial settling-in phase, I got back to my usual self – alternating between bursts of sense and long bouts of nonsense. Like I’ve mentioned in a previous post, there is a lot of energy in the place. I’ve noticed that most of the other employees (who have been here for a while) share a very cordial relationship with each other, even with the directors (assuming I didn’t read it wrong). I had expected the work environment to be all formal and serious. But, well, I was wrong about this place. It’s anything but formal and serious!
5. Part of a bigger cause – OK, maybe not as big as I make it seem. But when I realize that all the work we (not just me) put in is for something greater, it gives me another reason to love my work. All these years, I’ve attended events or watched them on TV. And today, I’m working on them. I’m getting to know what goes into the making of an event, how the final event is put together, how that perfect D-Day is achieved. I’ve begun to realize there’s a lot of people and their effort behind it. On the day of the event, when you see people enjoying and appreciating it, and you realize your effort is an integral part of the success, that’s when you see the bigger cause that you were a part of. I haven’t got there yet, but I will, very soon. 🙂
So, that’s 5 things I love about my work. If I sound like I’m having this super-awesome time, work’s all great and no problems bothering me, then well…I think I must have been over-enthusiastic. That happens a lot. But who am I fooling? Don’t worry. I’m still on the same planet as the rest of you, where almost everything has a lot of good things and a hell lot of bad things about it. There are things I don’t like about my work, I admit. But, more on that later, in another post. 🙂